I’ve been in a bad mood for days and days and days (with intermittent cheeriness when not required to think) for reasons that are simultaneously very solid and deeply boring. So. Not going to get into that.
BUT: I haven’t been required to think much today, as I have pottered about my Thanksgiving preparations, and even as I type I can hear my children and husband having a blast while they pick up the basement (having fun as they pick up — all in all, it’s not a bad life), and I’m really, really trying to come up with a post. Yet, as they say in… in… Yiddish, maybe?… “yok.” A big fat nothing. (Might be Turkish. I’m really not clear on this).
BUT THE SECOND: I just saw someone on Twitter saying they’re grateful this Thanksgiving that it’s President Obama and Vice-President Biden, rather than President McCain and Vice-President Palin, and as a shudder went down my spine, I thought: “Oooh, yes. I am very grateful for that, indeed!”
So. A random list of things that bear being grateful for, even if they might not be the first thing to come to mind:
- The fact that it’s President Obama and Vice-President Biden, not President McCain and Vice-President Palin. Pause to let that sink in for a bit.
- Firefly. Obvs. (For reference, click here, and also here).
- Nathon Fillion, Alan Tudyk, Gina Torres, Jewel Staite, Sean Maher, Morena Baccarin, Summer Glau, Ron Glass, and Adam Baldwin (the cast of Firefly). And mostly Joss Whedon (creator, producer, often writer and director of Firefly. Not to mention composer of the very, very shiny theme song to Firefly). And the fine people at the Horde who hounded me into watching Firefly.
- Indeed, the Horde itself. It is a rare and delightful thing to find and help form a genuine community of caring, crazy-smart, and ding-dang funny people on the internet, yet there it is. Even though I’ve been in too bad a mood to hang out much the past few days, I’m very glad to know they’re out there in the tubes.
- Which I suppose means I’m also grateful for the person of, not just the writing of, Ta-Nehisi Coates, at whose blog the Horde gathers, but that sounds a little weird, so we’ll just leave that as subtext. Though I’m happy to be openly grateful for his writing.
- My couch. (You don’t know this [well, most of you don’t] but my couch is the best couch in the universe, and the husband and I often comment — as the four of us sprawl across its sectional awesomeness — that it’s the best decision we ever made. Short of, you know, each other).
- The Black Keys – a most rocking twosome that I discovered this year and really, really love.
- These two straight guys kissing to protest the threat posed to Spain’s marriage equality law.
- The fact that Whole Foods got in a new shipment of that corn bread mix that my kids love.
- Oatmeal. With raisins and brown sugar.
I am, of course, very grateful also for the more obvious things (the kids and husband themselves, for instance, and friends and a beautiful home and my health and so on), but then, you already knew that, didn’t you? I’ll bet the couch thing hadn’t even crossed your mind!
If you’d like to leave your own utterly random list in comments, please do! And, while I’m at it – #11: My readers and commenters. Thanks so much for coming by, you guys. It means more than I think I can rightly say, but I take it as a real kindness. Thank you.
Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!